Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Comfort Food For Funky Moods

Okay, I have been in a bit of a funk lately. One of those unexplainable bad moods that seem to last for weeks. Blah. When I'm feeling like this all I want is read fun, perky "chick-lit" type books. They are my "funk medicine". To help with this bout of funkiness I picked up two Sophie Kinsella books.

In anticipation of my trip to NYC I read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (the picture above is of me and some of the girls in front of our hotel in Midtown Manhattan). This was the perfect book to get me excited about the trip. Kinsella takes the reader on a whirlwind tour of NYC that is fun and that captures the Big Apple perfectly!

However, I was still jonesing for a bit more Kinsella, and was right back in my funk upon my arrival to rainy South Florida, so I looked for another chick-lit pick me up. Lo and behold, what do I find but a Sophie Kinsella with a Sunflower on the cover! Brilliant! as Becky Bloomwood would say.

These books aren't going to change your life and bestow any earth-shattering pronouncements, but they are smart, well written, entertaining, and witty. I find Sophie Kinsella thoroughly enjoyable.


Here is my full review of Sophie Kinsella's latest novel, Remember Me?:

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella is a fun romp of a novel featuring seemingly power-hungry, “bitch-boss-from-hell” Lexi Smart after she comes to after a car accident and discovers that she has absolutely no memory of the last three years of her life.
The last memory Lexi possesses is of her leaving a bar with her three best friends where she was trying to forget about her “crap job”, her “crap boyfriend” (aptly nicknamed, “Loser Dave”), her frizzy hair and her teeth which have garnered her the nickname “snaggletooth”. When she wakes up in the hospital, Lexi has discovered that she has a posh pad, a gorgeous and wealthy husband, perfect teeth and shiny glossy hair. Unfortunately, she also realizes that she no longer has her friends, any fun, or anything else that made Lexi herself.
In trying to discover how she went from “snaggletooth” to “bitch-boss-from-hell” Lexi discovers her true identity and puts her life back to rights.
Remember Me? is a novel about self-discovery, priorities, and learning to be true to oneself. It is fun, lighthearted and immensely entertaining. It is the perfect “comfort food” book when a girl is feeling down.

No comments: